As I was preparing for our mission, I spent a few hours researching Uganda, their culture, traditions, etc. . . .
There “ain’t” nothing like it, it’s colorful to say the least.
One of their prized resources is Nsenene – Grasshoppers! They “arrive” twice a year and it is a celebration.
In the end of October first of November we lost all our power for 8 days. One night we decided that we were tired of sitting in the dark and decided to go for a ride into town. Upon entering Masaka it looked like we were in the middle of Yankee Stadium! All around were areas set up with huge 50 gallon barrels with a 2’ x 10’ piece of silver roofing sticking out of each barrel. Big bright lights were strung all around which attracted the clouds of Nsenene, who (probably blinded by the light) flew into the lit areas, hit the silver roofing planks, slid down them and were caught in the barrels. We are still suspect that the grasshopper business shut down the town for 8 days!
Of course all of us Muzugos were fascinated by this astonishing occurrence and the fact that this was a source of their food, but we all exchanged the “no way am I going to eat those disgusting bugs.”
For a couple of months now, they have been everywhere. Our church is downtown Masaka and we have an open hallway to our classes, so the walls have Nsenene on them, which becomes the natural play thing and entertainment in Sacrament for the children. I can’t tell you how many grasshopper legs, wings, and antennas I sweep up each week!
Keith and I took a Christmas gift to our member friends on Christmas Eve, and they had prepared Nsenene for us!!! Remember, this is expensive to most Ugandans’ and so, for them to buy it and make it for us . . . well, what do you do?
Never say never, so yes, Keith and I did partake. Bravely, I even chewed!!! They were fried; the grasshoppers make their own oil, so it reminded me of a stale chewy potato chip. Oh Yuk, but now I can say I did it! Never again!!!!!! Oh wait, Never Say Never!
YOU, are my hero!
ReplyDelete