Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Meet Barnard

One month ago during Sacrament, Barnard “walked” in and took a seat by me.   The speaker was reading from 3rd Nephi and I had an extra copy of the Book of Mormon so I handed it to him, showing him where to follow.  He seemed taken aback that I would acknowledge him, but he thanked me in Luganda and soon one of our future missionaries, Yasin, came over to sit by him and translate.

Barnard liked what he could understand and made an appointment with the missionaries to hear more, so they followed him home.  No one has an address, and you don’t “live” somewhere you “stay” somewhere.  The “villages” are so spread out that it’s not unusual for the missionaries to follow investigators to their homes for future lessons.

When I said that Barnard “walked” into Sacrament, he did, on his hands.  He also climbed four stories of stairs, and used his hand pedal cart to get there, which is about two miles, almost all uphill.  Barnard was born with tiny useless appendages for legs and so he has learned to do everything with his arms and hands.  He has made wood type flip flop shoes for his hands.

When the missionaries arrived at Barnard’s house, they were shocked to find out that Barnard was married and had two children; a three year old and a brand new baby

They were even more shocked when they found out that Salah, Barnard’s wife, is also handicapped with polio.   She scoots around on the floor and also does everything with her arms & hands.  I can’t even imagine this woman’s strength! 

The missionaries had taught Barnard just a couple of lessons when they asked him if he was considering to be baptized, he answered, “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t!”  He is very confident, smart and knows what he wants and gets it done.  He also has a job fixing bicycles in town and pushes himself to work every day. 

We were transferred before Barnard was baptized, but through the Lord’s tender mercies, and help from our Humanitarian Missionaries, Keith and the Elders delivered a brand new wheelchair to Salah that fit her legs perfectly, the day before we left!   Obviously, Barnard and Salah were elated and so grateful.  We have promised Barnard that we will come back to watch him get baptism and we are truly looking forward to it.

The Ugandan people are very resourceful.  They have to be, but Barnard and Salah are unique and resourceful spirits.  What a humbling experience it has been for Keith and me to meet and get to know Barnard and Salah.  

I’m ashamed I complain about anything.

1 comment:

  1. With so much that could bring them down, most seem to rise above it all and live life to the fullest. I just LOVE that about the people of Africa. They are so joyful. I am so happy that you and Elder Crayk are enjoying not only gospel success but, experiences and friendships that will last forever. I still can't believe that you ate the grasshoppers!!!

    ReplyDelete